The last few days we’ve been with Swansea CU down at Llanmadoc on the Gower, enjoying the sun, sea, sand as well as quality preaching and fellowship…
Andy Christofides was with us and spoke on ‘holiness’ so here are a few brief notes, for those who are interested, from what God brought to us through Mr. Christofides…
- ‘God is a consuming fire.’ (Hebrews 12v29). He is totally pure. He is perfect. He is not to be messed with. Like attempting to stand in front of the Sun, there is no chance of meeting God and surviving alive!
- ‘Be holy because I am holy.’ (1 Peter 1v15-16). God’s standard is perfection. Looking honestly at the laws and commands of God for us it is soon obvious that we do not meet his standards, not even 0% success.
- Are God’s demands unreasonable? He is my creator and sustains my life. He supplies everything I enjoy. Is it too much to ask that I love and listen to Him?
- ‘without holiness no one will see God.’ (Hebrews 12v14) – this leaves us with a big problem!
- Headship of Adam – all he represents are sinful because he was sinful.
- Headship of Jesus – all he represents are perfect because he was and is perfect!
- he took it [the law which condemned us] away, nailing it to the cross.
- Credibility and success proved by his bodily resurrection. The wages of sin is death, but Jesus did not sin, so did not earn death, the grave had no claim over him and had to release him!
- Since, then, you have been raised with Christ (Colossians 3v1)…
- We are to be holy, imitators of Christ.
- We are in a relationship with Almighty God – knowing God is the joy and privilege open to us.
- Revolution in our soul, we are born again. There is a battle raging in our sould between the old man and the new, Christ loving man. A battle to control the will, affections, memory, mind, conscience.
- We need to be renewed daily, hourly, minutely – by the Spirit of God. We go to church as much as possible, read the Bible as much as possible and pray as much as possible because we NEED to, not out of religious duty.
- ‘Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly.’ Colossians 3v16.
- We put to death the ugly and sinful desires of the old man – practically being ruthless wih sin. The power comes from God the Spirit in me. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
- In Him, we are content, loving, forgiving, compassionate, patient, humble, gentle, kind…
- This is the best way to live for me, for others (witnessing), and ultimately for God.
What a gospel!!
‘When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.’ Colossians 2v13-15